mattjohnsontv.blogspot.com

Reporter Reel

Reporting

Check out my latest reporting work in the posts below.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

ON-AIR VIDEO: Mississippi Civil Rights Leader Remembers Kennedy as Close Friend

In the 1960's, Mississippi civil rights leader Medgar Evers was killed outside his Jackson home by a racist white clansman. (Depicted in "Ghosts of Mississippi...rent it...great snapshot of Jackson, Mississippi history.) His brother Charles is still living. I sat down with him one on one as he reflects on the death of Sen. Ted Kennedy.

The Kennedy's played an integral part in helping race relations and poverty in Mississippi. (As I'm learning in my current reading of Robert Kennedy's biography.) The Evers and Kennedy families are very close. Charles Evers was actually with Bobby Kennedy the night of his assassination at an L.A. hotel and became close friends with Teddy Kennedy in the aftermath.

This all hits kind of close to home for me to, as I've taken an interest in the history of the Kennedy's since I won the Robert F. Kennedy journalism award and met Ted and Ethel Kennedy (Bobby's widow) in 2001.

Check out my latest story below.

Below that, you can watch my full interview with Evers. He has some candid words about his experiences that you history buffs would love! He's met Bush, Regean, Nixon, Obama, John, Bobby and Ted Kennedy and so many others.


Here's the full interview with Evers:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Nice interview. You must have enjoyed that with your history of the Kennedy's and being in Jackson now. Very cool.
How did you search out Charles and know how to find him and all that?
Nice job, I bet you made some points with the Boss!!
Gregg

Bucherfjoz said...

A business will save a huge chunk of their budget by buying a used forklift truck oppose to buying new. A new forklift always yields an operational advantage over the used ones. Inquire about the method used by the vendor in providing the service.